So you thought you will be done by the time you will write the conclusion and add the reference page of your dissertation? If so then you are missing the most important point of dissertation writing which is proofreading. Yes! It might sound a little irrelevant but believe it or not; this step plays an integral factor in contributing to your scores. Students who are aware of the importance of proofreading particularly buy dissertations proofreader services as they do not want to risk their grades.
The importance of proofreading can be analyzed from the fact that there are professional ghostwriters for hire who offer their proofreading services to students and clients. This shows how essential proofreading is and that there is a whole separate profession to proofread your projects. This post is intended to shed light on proofreading, the role of the dissertation proofreader, and what it takes to become a professional proofreader.
Role and responsibilities of a dissertation proofreader:
There has been much interest recently in researching the changes editors, supervisors, and other language brokers make to writing (Harwood, 2018). In order to understand the profession of proofreader; it is essential to look into the role of dissertation proofreader or the responsibilities that he has to fulfill in his area of expertise. The following points will highlight the role of a dissertation proofreader:
- It is the role of a proofreader to catch spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- A proofreader also has to pick point the punctuation errors.
- The sentence structure needs to be fixed or in some cases rearranged by a dissertation proofreader.
- The formatting of a dissertation is also analyzed by a dissertation proofreader.
- A dissertation proofreader makes sure that the student has followed the referencing style according to the given discipline or area of study.
- A dissertation proofreader also has to check the tone and style of the project in order to make sure that it is consistent throughout.
- It is the responsibility of a dissertation proofreader to eliminate any repeated sentence or to make sense of an improperly constructed sentence.
- If a student fails to showcase the headline in bold letters or forgets to mention the date on the assignment; then all such mistakes are also fixed by the dissertation proofreader.
Skills needed to become a professional proofreader:
Even though everyone can edit and proofread the dissertation projects, obviously not everyone can do full justice to this work as it requires special skills. The skills needed for academic editing and proofreading are as follows:
- Being qualified enough to have an understanding of a particular subject is good. However; if a person is not qualified in a particular subject then he must have a good grip on the language and the formatting of dissertation writing.
- A dissertation proofreader must have strong communication and analytical skills so that he would be able to analyze the mistakes (even the tiniest ones).
- A dissertation proofreader must have a sense of time management to meet deadlines.
- As most of the projects require to be done on the computer so obviously a dissertation proofreader must have a command over the computer. He must be familiar with word processing and all the methods of citing, referencing, etc.
Purpose of proofreading:
Readers must have realized up till now that proofreading is important but in order to be familiar with the true essence of proofreading; you must be familiar with its purpose. The purpose or importance of proofreading can be understood from the following points;
- The dissertation that has been proofread has a 100% chance of obtaining better grades than the dissertation that has not been proofread.
- If your dissertation will be proofread; it will be easier for the reader to understand the core concept of your project.
- A professionally proofread dissertation leaves a far better impression on the reader than one with mistakes or errors in it.
- It is The purpose of proofreading to improve the clarity and quality of the dissertation project.
No matter how well-written and diligently worked on your assignment is, if the teacher finds numerous errors in it, it won’t be able to make a good impression. Remember that your professor checks the journals daily and they can easily detect plagiarism in your writing (bestassignmentwriter, 2022).
Difference between proofreading and editing:
Even though; dissertation proofreaders provide editing as well as proofreading services but there exists a slight difference between the two. This is why it is important to differentiate them for the readers to understand the differences;
- The focus of proofreading is to eliminate errors while the objective of editing is to improve the quality.
- The process of editing aims at clarity, style, and clarification of the content while proofreading aims at the removal of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Steps to proofread if you can’t hire a professional proofreader:
There are times when students cannot hire a professional proofreader because of financial problems or trust issues. If you are also going through any such dilemma then the following steps will help you in getting through this stage of writing;
- Take a break from writing your paper.
- Search for one mistake or problem at a time.
- Put it on paper or print it out.
- Highlight each punctuation mark.
- Do the backward reading.
- Read out loud
- Try reading from a different location or perspective.
- Swap papers with a friend and look for frequent mistakes using “Search”
- Cover the lines below with a blank sheet of paper.
- Find consecutive short terms and combine them.
- Find a passive voice and convert it into active voice sentences.
- Simply your long or complex sentences into smaller and clearer ones.
Dissertation writing in itself is a difficult process and when it comes to proofreading them it gets even more intimidating but this is the step that you cannot just overlook. However; if you are having any difficulty in revising or going through your whole project once again then there always is an option of hiring professional dissertation proofreaders from authentic online sites.
bestassignmentwriter. (2022, Nov 28th). How to Format an Assignment: Expert Tips and Tricks. https://bestassignmentwriter.co.uk/blog/how-to-format-an-assignment/ .
Harwood, N. (2018, July 19th). What Do Proofreaders of Student Writing Do to a Master’s Essay? Differing Interventions, Worrying Findings. Written Communication , 474-530.